Some computers are available for advance booking in the iBooking System. Below are the guidelines on the use and reservation of these computers.
Locations of Computers
- Multipurpose PCs
- 4/F i-Space
- Graphic PCs
- 4/F i-Space
- Database Workstations
- 1 database workstations & 4 Bloomberg workstations in 4/F i-Space
PolyU/CPCE students & staff
Each eligible user can reserve one of the above computer workstations one day in advance, starting from 8:30am on the day before. Users can only keep one booking in hand within one single day.
Cancellation of reservations should be made via the system before your reserved session begins so that the PCs can be released to other users in need.
The same user cannot book the same computer workstation again for the same booking session after they check out, they cancel their booking or their booking expires.
Eligible users are allowed to reserve one computer workstation in advance for only one session within a single day. They can also book and use the computer workstation for the current session even if they have reserved them for a later session.
To continue to use the computer workstation after the current session, users can reserve the current computer or another computer online, if available, within 20 minutes before their current session expires.
Duration of Sessions
Check-in & Check-out
Users are required to log in to their reserved PC with their NetID and NetPassword within 10 minutes after the reserved session starts.
If users do not check in within the first 10 minutes, their reserved sessions will be cancelled and the PC will be released for booking by other users.
Users are required to check out the PCs to end the session before they leave. Reminders will be popped up on the PC screen at the last 10, 5, 2 minutes before the current session expires to alert users to save their files. The current user will be checked out automatically and the PC will return to the login page for the next session once the current session expires.
Note that the above check-in and check-out requirement does NOT apply to Macintosh computers. Users who have booked the Macintosh computers can directly use them without having to check in.
Rules of Using Computers
- Users should use their own NetID to make bookings. Using others' accounts or lending your NetID to others to make bookings is strictly prohibited. Offenders are subject to disciplinary action.
- The PCs are expected to be used by users who have placed the reservation. All reservations are not transferable.
- Users are expected to use the PCs during their reserved session and should not leave the PC unattended for too long. Except for Macintosh computers, they are advised to log out and release the PC to other users if they no longer need to work on the reserved PC. The Library reserves the right to remove any unattended belongings from their desk and release the PC to other users if it is left unattended for over 30 minutes. The Library will not be responsible for any loss or damage of their belongings and files.
- Users should not connect the PCs with their own equipment without the prior consent of the Library staff.
- The PCs are provided to support learning, teaching and research only. Users should observe the Library Regulations when using the Library. Any violations may result in termination of their use privileges of PCs.
- The Library cannot guarantee the security of your personal belongings, and will not be responsible for items lost or stolen at the PC workstations.
- The Library reserves the right to allocate any available PC to a user, or remove PCs from service as needed (for maintenance purposes, projects, etc.)