3D Printing Service is available to all eligible Library users by appointment via the iBooking system. Pricing and printing procedures of this service are detailed below.
Use Policy and Guidelines
Printer model: Wisemaker W350
Printing materials: Single color 3mm PLA filament plastic (bio-degradable polymer). Available colors: white, black, blue, yellow and green.
Pricing: Base charge HK$20 + materials charge at HK$1/gram.
For example, a printed model weighing 30 grams will cost HK$50 (= $20 base charge + $30 materials charge).
Eligible users? All authorized Library users with valid Library cards and borrowing rights, except Readers' Ticket Holders and JULAC Card Holders.
Preparing your 3D print file: Please save your file in STL format on a USB thumb drive. You can create your 3D model from scratch or download a file ready for printing on the Internet. You are suggested to scan your file at this Microsoft website on 3D printing to make sure the file is printable and to fix any problems that may cause the model to print incorrectly.
Making an appointment: Two sessions are available every day from Mondays to Fridays (except weekends and public holidays) at 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. You may make an appointment 3 days in advance on iBooking where you can select your preferred day and time.
Service location: Bring along your STL file saved on a USB thumb drive and place your print request with our staff at Poster and 3D Printing Room (Room L303M) in 3/F Multimedia Commons.
No show policy: Your booking will be automatically canceled 15 minutes after the appointment time begins. If you are unable to come, please cancel your booking as soon as possible so that another user can get an opportunity to use this service.
Placing a print request:
- You will be required to fill in and sign a print request form indicating all the printing requirements.
- Library staff will go through your print file with you on a 3D printing workstation where you can configure the printing parameters and requirements (such as layer height, in-fill, support, etc.).
- Library staff will then assess the printability of your file and indicate the printing time and cost on the request form.
- You will be required to pay for the printing cost in full at the time your printing request is placed.
Printing time: It depends on the size and complexity of the model. Our printer may take one hour to print a model weighing 10 grams.
Picking up your printed model: You will be given an expected date and time for pickup after placing your request. You are suggested to call 2766-6890 to make sure the printed object is ready for pickup beforehand.
More questions? Please refer to FAQ on 3D Printing to find out more about the service and 3D printing.
Note to Users
- Users are reminded to make sure their print files do not infringe copyright or intellectual property rights. Users are fully responsible for any legal consequences arising from infringement of applicable copyright laws. The University has the right to hold the user liable on an indemnity basis for any claims, liabilities, costs and damages the University may suffer as a result of any infringement.
- The printed model may have small defects such as small holes or a coarse surface. These normal defects will not be accepted as reasons for any refund or refusal to pay. In addition, the Library will not guarantee any precise tolerance on fitting of multi-part objects.
- If a print job fails due to the problems in model design or the print file, the user is still required to pay for the print job in full cost.
- For those objects that require temporary support material to be printed, the support material is easily removable and users will be completely responsible for removing this material. Library staff will not remove any materials nor support materials from the model for you.
- The Library will take and keep photos of the output models for its Library publication and promotion materials upon agreement from users.
- The Library reserves the right to reject any print request or cancel any print job. For example, printing requests for weapons, obscene or dangerous objects will not be accepted.
- Printed objects not picked up within 28 days will be recycled. The users will not be refunded for objects not picked up within this period.