Laser cutter/engraver is a computer-controlled cutting device that provides higher precision levels and edge quality than traditional cutting methods. It enables us to cut or engrave complex shapes and design into various materials.
You may also make a consultation appointment to have an introduction to the service
Digital Makerspace, 4/F North Wing
Laser Cutter Information
|Model||GCC LaserPro Mercury III|
|Work area||635 x 458 mm|
|Maximum speed||42 IPS|
|Engraving capability||256-level greyscale|
|Service charge||$20 per 15-minute|
Eligible users: PolyU/CPCE students, faculty and staff.
- A session for non-authorized laser cutter users from 3:00 - 4:00 pm is available for booking from Monday to Friday (except public holidays).
- Booking should be made 3 days in advance on iBooking.
- If your project runs exceeded your booked session, we will continue to let it run until completion before 6pm or 1-hour before library close whichever earliest.
- The reserved appointments will be forfeited automatically after 10-minute grace period.
- Material sold by the Library should be used for laser cutting / engraving only.
- Material are sold in supporting users' teaching & learning use only.
- Library support material provided by the Library only. Bring-in material is forbidden.
- You can use vector editing software such as Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW to create artwork for laser cutting. Adobe Illustrator CS 6 are installed at i-Space for printing artwork to the laser cutter.
- We are using Adobe Illustrator CS 6 in the Digital Makerspace. If you use newer version of Adobe Illustrator to create artwork, please save the file to CS 6 version. Otherwise, we may not print your file properly.
- You must well prepare your files in advance to ensure you can fully utilize your booked session.
- Please follow the recommended file specifications for Adobe Illustrator below:
Colour mode RGB Margins Leave at lease 5mm margins from all edges of the artboard Stroke weight for cut lines 0.1 pt Convert all text to outlines first. Do not create clipping mask. Include all linked files when you save your file. You can create multiple artboards in your file but the print driver can only handle one artboard per print job. Avoid duplicated paths stacking on each other or the same path will be cut multiple times.
- You can refer to our material test boards for reference result of laser cutting & engraving on different material.
- Please do not hesitate to ask questions and seek assistance from our staff at the Technical Support Desk.
Health and Safety
- You must wear laser goggles for extra protection of your eyes.
- While the laser cutter is operating, be aware of its status and you must not leave it unattended.