3D scanner is a device to capture the size and shape of a physical object into digital 3D presentation. 3D scanners are the fastest and automated way to assist in creating 3D model prototypes from physical objects. The Library provides 2 types of 3D scanners, a handheld and a desktop 3D scanner. You may choose a suitable one according to your needs. Walk-in are welcomed. Reservation via iBooking system is recommended.
Self-service Kiosk, i-Space, 4/F North Wing
- PolyU/CPCE students and staff, except students on programmes which do not lead to any formal award
This scanner is a handheld 3D scanner attached to an iPad. The scanner can be used for creating 3D objects for virtual reality, 3D printing and gaming. It is best for creating object in larger size.
|Scanning range||40 cm (min) and 3.5m (max)|
|Resolution||640 x 480(VGA) or 320 x 240(QVGA)|
|Frame-rate||30 / 60 frames per second|
|Illumination||Infrared structured light projector, Uniform infrared LEDs|
|Field of View||Horizontal: 58 degrees, Vertical: 45 degrees|
|Output file format||.OBJ|
$10 per day
- The Structure Sensor 3D scanner must be checked out and returned at the Technical Support Desk one hour before Library closing.
- The Structure Sensor - Handheld 3D Scanner can be loaned for up to 2 days.
- Ensuring fair access to all eligible users, the scanners are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Users are advised to remove all personal data before returning the sensor.
- Borrowers are responsible for the loss and damage to the scanner.
Digital Makerspace, i-Space, 4/F North Wing
- PolyU/CPCE staff and students enrolled on programmes leading to PolyU/PolyU-SPEED/PolyU-HKCC awards
The Matter and Form 3D scanner is a desktop 3D scanner attached to a workstation in the Digital Makerspace for students to quickly and easily capture 3D models. The scanner outputs in standard file formats such as STL or OBJ which can be used in most 3D CAD applications.It is best for create small 3D object with details.
|Resolution||0.1mm (single range)|
|Max scanning volume||Desktop : 250 x 180 x 180mm (HxWxD)|
|Speed||Desktop : 5 mininutes per scan|
|Output files format||.PLY / .XYZ / .STL / .OBJ|
- Two sessions at 10:00 AM and 2:30 PM respectively are available from Monday to Saturday and one session at 2:30 PM is available on Sunday (except public holidays).
- Reservations can be made 7 days in advance starting from 8:30 AM via the iBooking System.
- Duration of each session is 3 hours.
Check-in & Check-out
- Users are required to check in or check out their reserved facility at the Technical Support Desk (i-Space, 4/F).
- All sessions in the same reservation record will be cancelled and released to other users if users do not check in the room within 10 minutes after the booking session starts.
- Users are responsible for the loss and damage to the facility.
- The use of facilities shall comply with Library regulations. Users who violate the regulations will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Any unattended belongings will be removed after the reserved session so that the facility can be released to other users. The Library will not be responsible for any loss or damage to your personal belongings.
- The Library reserves the right to allocate any available facility to users, or remove facilities from service as needed such as maintenance purposes and events.