Makerspace, sometimes called hackerspace, is a workspace where people can get together to inspire, make and create. The Library’s Digital Makerspace provides hands-on workshops and technical support to encourage students from all disciplines to learn and operate the easy-to-use digital and fabrication tools.
- 3D Printing
- 3D Scanning
- Book Scanning
- Digital Equipment for Loan
- IoT (Internet of Things)
- Large Format Printing
- Software List of i-Space (4/F)
- Laser Cutting / Engraving
- Vinyl Cutting
- VR Experience Zone
Eligible users can reserve the 3D Printing, 3D Scanning, Book Scanning, Laser Cutting / Engraving, Vinyl Cutting and Virtual Reality (VR) Experience Zone services via the iBooking System.
While all of our Makerspace services and tools are available to current PolyU/CPCE staff and students enrolled on programmes leading to PolyU/PolyU-SPEED/PolyU-HKCC awards, access to the Makerspace is restricted to authorised users only.
The Digital Makerspace opens during library opening hours. Consultation services will only be available during office hours from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). The Makerspace may offer limited services during revision & examination period, and summer session.
Use of Facilities
- Use of the equipment in PolyU Library’s Digital Makerspace is free and no experience is required except for the laser cutter which must be operated under the supervision of authorised personnel.
- First-time users for equipment other than laser cutter must book a consultation session with the Library staff to learn how to use the equipment and understand the related material restrictions when using them Please contact the Library staff at Technical Support Desk for details.
- You are free to test and create prototypes to actualise your ideas and imagination in the Makerspace after satisfying the training requirements. You are expected to:
- Clean up the area after use;
- Be courteous, helpful, and respectful to other users; and
- Be considerate. Keep discussions at moderate voice levels in order to provide a pleasant co-working environment for other participants.
- Reserving spaces and IT facilities with unattended personal belongings is NOT allowed.
- Personal items left unattended for 15 minutes or longer may be removed as ‘Lost and Found’ items to free space and facilities for others.
- Your privilege will be revoked if you fail to comply with the above rules.
Content and Use Limitations
- Users are expected to use the Makerspace exclusively for lawful purposes and comply to the intellectual property that the use of the content will not infringe upon any third-party’s copyright, patent, trademark trade secret or other proprietary or intellectual property rights. Users are prohibited from using Makerspace equipment to create any objects that endanger anyone, including weapons.