- Ms Sandy Cheng Yeuk Tung has been promoted to the position of Assistant Librarian II (Systems), effective 1 Nov 2015. In her new position, Sandy will focus on program development and assist in systems support. She will also participate actively in the planning and development of the Library systems and digital initiatives.
- Mr. Gary Siauw Chi Ming has been promoted to Library Assistant I (Acquisitions) with effect from 1 Dec 2015. Gary is responsible for general supervision of acquiring print/electronic books and audio-visual materials.
- Mr. Ali Wong Yip Li has been promoted to Web Programming Coordinator (Systems) with effect from 1 Jan 2016. Ali will play a key role in systems analysis and software development for web applications and web-related projects of the Library.
- Ms Tang Sin Yee joined the Library as Metadata and Bibliographic Services In-charge on 1 Sep 2015. Sin Yee now plays a leadership role in the team of professional and paraprofessional staff that responsible for metadata creation and cataloging, at all levels and in all formats. She is also responsible for supervision of metadata management, cataloguing services and management of electronic resources. She has substantial experience with managing cataloging projects and brings in-depth cataloguing experience from her previous work at various academic libraries.
- Mr. Steve Wong Pak Hei has joined PolyU as Assistant Librarian II (Access Services) since 19 Oct 2015. Steve holds a Master of Library and Information Management from the University of Hong Kong and a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. In this role, Steve oversees the operations of Media Services and is responsible for developing Library services to facilitate the use of the Multimedia Commons+. He also assists the Head of Access Services in managing the Library access services.
+The Multimedia Commons is a multimedia production area (3/F, Library) which aims to support and enrich the teaching and learning experience through multimedia technology.
- Dr Johnny Yuen Kwok Lun (Project Fellow) and Miss Carol Ma Shuk Man (Project Associate) joined us on 2 & 7 Oct 2015 respectively. They are responsible for managing the three-year project entitled “Enhancing information literacy in Hong Kong higher education through the development and implementation of shared interactive multimedia courseware”. This is a joint project of eight university libraries led by the PolyU and funded by the University Grant Council (UGC) Funding Scheme for Teaching and Learning Related Proposals.
Johnny obtained his PhD on the topic whether and how secondary school student's personal epistemology, that is personal beliefs about the nature of knowledge and the knowing process, affect individual student's participation in computer supported pedagogical environment designed to facilitate collaborative knowledge building among students. Before joining PolyU Library, he worked as a project manager in the Centre for Information Technology in Education (CITE) of the University of Hong Kong and took part in various research and partnership projects such as the 1st International Computer and Information Literacy Study (ICILS) 2013.
Carol obtained her Bachelor of Education in Liberal Studies from the Hong Kong Institute of Education (HKIEd) and she is currently doing her Master program at the University of Hong Kong (HKU). Before joining PolyU Library, Carol participated in a number of researches related to IT in Education in HKU and HKIEd.
- Mr. Eddie Ko Hung Tak and Miss Aster Zhao Lu have recently joined the Library as Assistant Librarian II (Research Support). Work under the Research Support Section, their major role is to support the University's research activities, konwledge creation and transfer, as well as collaborate with academics to increase the research visibility of the PolyU. Eddie and Aster also serve as the Faculty Librarians to support faculty and users’ information needs of teaching and learning engagements, as well as research and curriculum activities in the School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM) and Faculty of Engineering (FENG) respectively.
Eddie earned his Bachelor of Business Administration from the City University of Hong Kong. He then received his Master of Science in Library and Information Management from the University of Hong Kong. Prior to joining the Library, Eddie had experience in data mining and business intelligence duties in banking field.
Aster received her first Master’s degree in Sustainable Energy Technologies from Delft University of Technology in Netherlands, and second in Library and Information Management from the University of Hong Kong. Before joining the Library, Aster served as a journal editor and had experience in academic publishing in engineering field.
Both of them will play a pivotal role in assisting faculty or student researchers during different phases of their research cycle.