Open Access Options for PolyU Authors
May 17, 2021
Open Access (OA) to scientific information and research data has never been more crucial than ever as evident from the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. As a researcher, you have the choice to make your research more open, reach as many people as possible, and maximize its impact to the society.
Research outputs include more than journal articles and books, they can also be an artwork, an exhibition or even a mobile app and these can all be made open access.
To make your research output open access, PolyU authors have these 2 options:
1. Depositing Research Output in PIRA
Depositing a version of your publication in an institutional repository is one way to make your work open access. In PolyU, researchers are required to upload “Final Accepted Manuscript” to PolyU Institutional Research Archive (PIRA), our institutional repository, for open access.
Take a look at two examples here and here, both are studies related to support for family caregivers. Originally both articles are accessible to journal subscribers only. Now by making the accepted manuscript available on PIRA, everyone can read and benefit from the findings in these studies.
Many authors misplace and cannot find the accepted manuscript to be deposited in PIRA. Hence we encourage every PolyU author to send their accepted manuscript to the Library as soon as the paper gets accepted.
You are welcome to use the Online Submission Form to submit your manuscripts to PIRA directly.
- Non-Traditional Research Output
PolyU PIRA also welcomes the deposit of non-traditional research outputs. Check out one of our Exhibition catalog examples on PIRA to see how it works!To deposit your creative works in PIRA, please follow the steps below:
- Complete the Deposit Agreement Form
- Save the Deposit Agreement Form together with the files to be uploaded to PIRA.
- Email all the files to PIRA staff or Upload to OneDrive and share with Library.email@example.com.
Please check out this Library Guide for more information on depositing research outputs in PIRA.
Another way to make your research article open access is to publish in OA journals. This way, your work will be available immediately to the research community right after publication. In most cases, an Article Processing Charge (APC) may be charged to the authors when the paper gets accepted.
PolyU authors now have 2 options to publish in OA without paying for APC:
- Publish Open Access articles in Cambridge University Press (CUP) Journals
- PolyU authors can publish in CUP journals with APC fully waived during the period 2021-2023. We are pleased to share with you that one of our authors have successfully published an article in OA without paying for an APC of 3,255 USD. We look forward to seeing more PolyU authors to take advantage of this so as to maximize the impact of their research work.If you are unsure how this works, visit this Library Guide, watch the training recording, or just contact your Faculty Librarian!
- Publish in IWA Open Access Journals
- PolyU authors can also publish Open Access articles with APC fully waived in all IWA journals under Subscribe-to-Open (S2O) model. Visit this Library Guide to learn more details.
The aim of making your research open is to increase the visibility of your works and research. Be it Open Access through Self-Archival in PIRA or Open Access via Publishing, there is always an OA option for researchers with different research goals.
For more information about PIRA or Open Access publishing, contact us!