Self check-in research carrels are available in 3/F South Wing for eligible Library users for private individual study. Two of the carrels are particularly designed for the students with special needs. Eligible users can reserve the carrels online one day in advance. Below are the guidelines on the use and reservation of the research carrels.
|Type of users||Use Privileges|
|1.||PolyU Academic, Research, and Equivalent Status Administrative Staff (Full-time or Part-time)||Advance booking or walk-in use of Zone A to C (except A5 and A6 for walk-in use only)|
|2.||Research Postgraduate Students (PolyU awards only)|
|3.||Visiting Scholars & Fellows, Visiting Staff and Visitors with valid PolyU smart card|
|4.||Postgraduate Students (PolyU awards only)||Advance booking or walk-in use of Zone A and B (except A5 and A6 for walk-in use only)|
|5.||Students with Special Needs registered with Student Affairs Office (Both UG & PG, PolyU / PolyU-SPEED awards only)||Advance booking or walk-in use of A5 and A6|
|6.||Undergraduate students||Advance booking of A1-4 and A7-15 or walk-in use of Zone A and B|
|7.||Postgraduate Students (non-PolyU awards only)|
|8.||CPCE students (HKCC / PolyU-SPEED awards / non-PolyU awards / no award)||Walk-in use of Zone B|
Each eligible user can reserve a room one day in advance via PolyU iBooking, starting from 8:30am on the day before. Users can only keep one booking in hand within one single day.
Cancellation of reservations should be made via the system before your reserved session begins so that the carrels can be released to other users in need.
The same user cannot book the same room again for the same booking session after they check out, they cancel their booking or their booking expires.
Eligible users are allowed to reserve a research carrel in advance for only one session within a single day. They can also book and use the research carrel for the current session even if they have reserved a carrel for a later session.
To continue to use the carrels after the current session, users can reserve the current carrel or another carrel online, if available, within 20 minutes before their current session expires. After the reservation for the same carrel for the next session is accepted, users can continue to use the carrel in the next session without having to check out and check in again.
Eligible users indicated above can login to the iBooking System and reserve to use a research carrel 10 minutes after the current session begins. Users using a Priority Carrel (REC Room A5 or A6) will be asked to offer the carrel to users with special needs who need to use it.
Duration of Sessions (Zone A)
Duration of Sessions (Zone B)
2 to 4 hour
Duration of Sessions (Zone C)
2 to 8 hour
Check-in & Check-out
Users are required to swipe their PolyU smart cards at check-in kiosks within 10 minutes after the reserved session begins.
If users do not check in within the first 10 minutes, their reserved sessions will be cancelled and released for booking by other users.
Users are encouraged to check out their carrels at designated check-out readers at the open area of REC. Once checked out, the carrel will be released for booking by other users.
Rules of Using Research Carrels
- Users should use their own account to make bookings. Using others’ accounts or lending your account to others to make bookings is strictly prohibited. Offenders are subject to disciplinary action.
- The research carrels are expected to be used by the users who have registered for the loan. The loans of the carrels are not transferable.
- The research carrel is for private individual study only, and users should not share the room with another person.
- No food and drinks are allowed in the research carrels.
- No furniture or equipment should be removed from or brought into a research carrel.
- Users should not bring in uncharged library materials and use other electrical appliances (except notebook computers) into the research carrels.
- Users must clear their personal belongings and leave the carrels clean and tidy at the end of the loan period. No drying up of wet clothes or swimming suits inside the carrel is allowed.
- After the reserved session is over, any unattended belongings will be removed so that the room can be ready for other users. The Library will not be responsible for any loss or damage.
- Users should also observe other Library Regulations. Any violations may result in termination of carrel privileges.
- The Library cannot guarantee the security of your personal belongings, and will not be responsible for items lost or stolen from the research carrel.
- The Library reserves the right to allocate any available carrel to a user, or remove carrels from service as needed (for maintenance purposes, projects, etc.)