To become information literate, you are encouraged to attend the Library Workshops, view online programmes, or request an individual consultation with your Faculty Librarian.
Let us know your needs …
- You’ve just been given an essay topic but don't know where to start.
- Try to find shortcuts to manage your bibliographies.
- Keen to look for resources for your assignment that your lecturer will be pleased with.
to let us know how we can help.
Declarations on Information Literacy and Lifelong Learning
The Prague Declaration - "Towards an Information Literate Society"
- comprises the competencies to recognise information needs and to locate, evaluate, apply and create information within cultural and social contexts;
- is crucial to the competitive advantage of individuals, enterprises (especially small and medium enterprises), regions and nations;
- provides the key to effective access, use and creation of content to support economic development, education, health and human services, and all other aspects of contemporary societies, and thereby provides the vital foundation for fulfilling the goals of the Millennium Declaration and the World Summit on the Information Society; and
- extends beyond current technologies to encompass learning, critical thinking and interpretative skills across.
Excerpt from The Alexandria Proclamation on Information Literacy and Lifelong Learning
Standards and guidelines
ACRL - Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education
Online Information Literacy Programme
Learn from the 4 modules:
- Selecting information sources
- Searching for information
- Evaluating information
- Managing information
Complete the quizzes and get a certificate with an average score of 75% or above.
- Get to know the services and functions of the Library.
- Introduction of Library resources.
- How to create your own bibliographical database by importing references from text files or selected online databases.
- How to use Write-N-Cite to insert citation directly from RefWorks when writing your paper in Microsoft Word.
Various online tutorials with quick tips of setting Library PIN, searching library materials effectively, as well as use of iBooking system.
Searching Business Information
How to search efficiently in our subscribed databases for country forecast reports, market outlook, and also company analytics.